Monday 15 September 2008

Sunning Restaurant (Hong Kong)

First of all I’d like to apologize for my lack of contribution lately due to stress of my studies. My studies has completely taken over my life, it has damaged my bank account, my social life, my sleeping hours! First of all, my classes are held in the evening and sometimes weekends hence no more dining out with friends. Then when I have the time to go out and eat, either my mind would be moon-walking somewhere in space hence forgetting to take pictures or I’d be eating at places not worth mentioning (e.g. McDonald’s). Enough for my self-pity session and get on with my blog!

Name of Restaurant: Sunning Restaurant
Address: Basement, Leighton Center, 77 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong (銅鑼灣禮頓道77號禮頓中心地庫)
Telephone: (+852) 2890 2029 / 2576 3301

Sunning Restaurant offers a wide variety of fine European Cuisine dishes from Roast Beef, Veal, to seafood. I do not exactly know how long the restaurant has been operating, but my grandma used to say, “I used to come to Sunning when I was younger…” Though I’m not sure it has always stayed in the same address or not. The menu offer a lot of set dinner (the ranges is not bad, they have ribs, lamb chop, seafood, etc.) and serves Roast beef every weekend (I think they serve it on Friday evenings too). They also do fantastic soup such as Potage Campardore, Baked French Onion Soup, Seafood Soup with pastry topping…

I’ve ordered Escargot set for this visit, which includes baked Escargot on mashed potato, Russian Bortsch and Chicken Mancini as main.

The Escargot is stuffed with butter with herbs then baked and set on mashed potato. What I usually do is taking out each Escargot then pours out all the sauce on the mashed potato. Sometimes I’d add a splash of Tabasco or pepper and sometimes I’d go without, depending on my mood. The melted butter and herds would always lure me into finishing all the mash (hence overdosing myself on carbs on the day!).

Russian Bortsch (Borsch) which was originally cooked with ingredients such as beetroot, carrot, cabbage, potatoes, beef, dill, vinegar, etc…but this soup has been adopted by the HK-Chinese (+Macanese) to the extend that I doubt any Russian can recognize. Nevertheless, it is still one of my favorite soups of all time! The Russian Bortsch here is fair, not remarkable. However, you can always add a few bucks and change for other soup~ But if you are thinking of upgrading it into an onion soup or seafood soup then you must have quite an appetite. An assortment of bread is served and offered by a waiter for your selection.

Last came the Chicken Macini, it is basically Baked Fettuccine with chicken, mushroom and bacon in cream sauce. The chicken I had were all small pieces chicken thighs so they were extra tender, plus the fat from the bacon melted some bound and fused into the cream sauce. It is sooo utterly fattening yet satisfying to have this dish. I remembered though, when I was younger they used to put in some small pieces of chicken liver / goose liver in this dish as well. It’s such shame they don’t do this anymore! My mum and my brother both had a taste of my dish and said, “This is so FAT!!” However, my theory is that I’ll indulge myself in fatty food like this until I’m 35-40 depending how my health goes! Come on, you only live once~~

A complimentary tea or coffee comes with every set meal, so I ordered hot lemon tea in the hope to do some damage-limitation of my very cholesterol-bursting meal.

This lovely restaurant also does good dishes of lamb as well as beef / veal dishes (and of course Roast Beef!). Scrumptious Prawn Fruit Salad, it has huge triangle slices of watermelon, honeydew melon and other fruit. This is my healthier option that I would sometimes order when I have had a very guilty week. There Lobster Thermidor, Baked Pork Chop Rice and desserts such as crepe, baked Alaska are delicious too!

0 comments: