Sunday 21 September 2008

Coffeest, coffee and sandwich, Seoul

Every Sunday morning, I drag myself out of bed to go to excercise in a park in GwangHwaMoon.
I do Kichunmoon, a form of Korean martial art. I just started, so it is very painful and boring at times, but I feel very good afterwards. So I make myself go there and not miss lessons, although I think of million reasons to skip class before I go there. Even during the 5-mins walk from the gate of the Palace to the park. To make my Sunday morning more pleasant, I sometimes reward myself with a lunch at Coffeest, a cafe serving quality coffee. (But I may have to find somewhere else soon. You will know why when you read my review.)






The place looks a mess, but a coordinated mess. The wooden shelves are lined with tins, from Fauchon tins to Altoids boxes, and coffee grinder and pots. A genious way of decorating a cafe at a very low price.
The next two pictures are from a few weeks ago when I visited the cafe for the first time.
I ordered iced Dutch coffee and chicken curry panini.
The Dutch coffee is prepared over 9 hours in special cylinders by dropping water literally drop by drop. I saw it on the menu else where too, but it usually cost twice as much as usual lattes, so I never tried. But then when I was told that it is low on caffeine, I ordered it immediately.

I am not a coffee connossieur -or of anything- but it was a very nice glass of coffee.
Very smooth.

Chicken curry panini...
Grilled chicken breasts are smothered in curry sauce, sandwiched between wheat bread with green pepper, tomatoe and lettuce. Oooh, and mozzarella cheese. I was told that panini was great, but it is not. It is just very very plain panini. Green peppers would have been better if they were grilled or roasted before hand because it was just strange to find raw green peppers. I don't mind eating it to have lunch there, but really, don't bother.
Despite non-descript panini, I went back there today for lunch, because it was sunny, and I wanted nice coffee. Plus, I wanted to read comics on food -Coffeest has a good selection of comics on food, and a bit of books on travel, coffee, running cafe, etc.

(Walnut cookies are not too buttery or sugary. Slightly chewy. I liked them.)
I ordered Dutch iced latte, homemade walnut cookies (I had three with my coffee and took home the rest) and ham and cheese panini.
Curried chicken panini was unavailable today, so I ordered ham and cheese.
I had no choice because only two panini are available.
I was very scared to order ham and cheese panini, because, many panini in Korea are made of Korean ham which I hate. I was relieved that the one I had did not come with that variety. Dijon seed mustard was spread on the bread, green pepper, tomatoes, ham and mozzarella cheese...

Not as bad as I expected, but still boring.
But coffee...I just loved it.
You can get a refill to any coffee you order.
I recommed coffees only. Or walnut cookies. This place is known for drip coffees not espresso-based drinks, so make note of that.
Ah...the service. I wonder whether I should go back or not.
There are 3 ladies working there. They probably own the place. Three sisters or friends...
I find the service generally not bad but I find one of the ladies could do well without sour expression on her face.
When this pariticular lady brought cookies to my table, I said
"ooh...I would not have minded having them in the plastic bag -they were originally packed in a plastic bag-"
This lady then made this face...she frowned very very briefly, and said
"I will put them in a plastic bag before you leave."
OK, maybe I could have mentioned it before, or she could have asked me before. This was due to lack of communication which could happen anytime. But why frown? Or was I seeing things?
Since then, I decided to observe her. She always has stern look on her face. Having criticised her, I have this stern expression on my face, too. But when I talk to my customers, I may not smile beautifully, but I will definitely not frown. Maybe she made bag impression on me that I felt she was frowning.
She makes people uncomfortable. I don't know what her stories/issues are...sigh...
My advice for this lady...stay behind the counter and make coffee and leave the rest to others.
Mind you though...I read blogs on Coffeest, and a lot of them said that the ladies there are very friendly. Maybe this particular lady was having a bad day? I really hope she was. I just love reading books there when the weather is good.
I took the liberty of adding Coffeest on the map to the Sungkok Art Museum from their website. (http://www.sungkokmuseum.com/)
Currently, Chuck Close is on. It is worth a visit.

Panini: around 6-7000KRW(£3-£3.50)
Dutch Iced lattee: 6000KRW (£3)
Walnut cookies: 3000KRW fora bag of six. (£1.50)


0 comments: