Sunday 21 September 2008

Jean Paul Hévin (II) - Hong Kong

Name: Jean Paul Hévin
Address: 尖沙咀廣東道17號海港城212號舖 (Shop 212, Harbour City, 17 Canton Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Can’t help but to make another return to Jean-Paul Hévin, it’s all too tempting! I know to some people, macaroon can be sickeningly sweet. Even for me, eating a box of 6 macaroons or downing three cakes can be a bit much sometimes. (It’s all for the work of this blog, you know!?) That’s exactly why at a time like this; I’d start the kettle and prepare good pot of brew, which really does make all the different. I usually like a mix of scented tea of rose, jasmine and osmanthus, which gives a wonderful perfumery aroma and takes away all the sluggish feeling from overdosing on sugary food. For less work, I’d just take out a Lipton white tea bag (FYI White tea is low on caffeine but filled with of antioxidants) and pour in the water!!

I got a box of 6 macaroons (Green Apple, Pistachio, Dark Chocolate (x2), Milk Chocolate and Coffee) and one chocolate lolly – caramel flavoured from Jean Paul Hévin. As mentioned before, I am not keen on fruity macaroon but I’m always willing to give new stuff a try. The result is…

Green Apple: I think I tasted a faint hint of artificial apply flavour, but it was too brief to be confirmed. I guess I imagined a light tangy, fresh, refreshing apple flavour which the reality just did not come close to my imagination. Oh, why bother using so many words, frankly, I hate it and I’ll try Raspberry flavour instead next time!

Pistachio: This one was also a disappointment. The nutty flavour just simply wasn’t strong enough to make a mark. The sugary, honey flavour was more overwhelming then the actual nut. Hazelnut is definitely better! The thing is there’s a really yummy Pistachio Gelato in HK so I kinda expected the macaroon to taste like the gelato, silly me!

Dark Chocolate: which was featured in the previous entry – I like it because it’s simple, genuine, straightforward intense chocolate flavour.

Milk chocolate: Not as remarkable as Dark Choc but still good, just can’t beat the Dark Choc for my record.

Coffee: mmm…my advice is make it either less sweet or more bitter (or both!), and add a bit of crushed coffee bean. Trust me, it’d taste better this way and more people will come back for it!

Isn't he a handsome lil' fellow?
Chocolate Lolly (caramel flavoured): There are 3 flavours (if I remembered correctly), Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and Caramel. I decided I’d go for caramel because it’s the more unusual choice of flavour from the existing three options. I also had my doubts at the point of purchase…because I was worried I’d hate it and that’d just be tragic. My worries were like what if the caramel taste is too overwhelming and takes over the taste of chocolate, what if its gonna be too sickeningly sweet and I have to throw it away (I really hate wasting food!), etc…
So I asked the shop assistant, would the caramel plus chocolate make this lolly sickeningly sweet? She assured me they have a good balance and some sea salt is added into it. With that reply (keyword: sea salt!!) I was like, “ok, I’d take one please!”
As soon as I’ve unwrapped the lolly, the lightly scent of caramel was already noticeable. The chocolate is velvety infused with caramel aroma, the balance of sweetness was good as promised. I’ve especially circled the sea salt in the picture because they are hard to see in a picture but you can just taste it! I think just for the lolly, Jean Paul is worth for a third visit!



Macaroon and Chocolate are at $15 each (approx. GBP 1) and chocolate lolly at $60 each (approx. GBP 4).

2 comments:

Banya said...

Can't wait to try them.
Do they have plain seasalt caramel without chocolate?

SA said...

Nope! But I can send you some during winter time so they won't melt!! In fact, I can send you chocolate, plus macaroons (if I put them in "Lock & Lock" container, they should be fine right?)