Friday 25 July 2008

萬豚屋 Mochi Cafe (Hong Kong)

Name of Restaurant: 萬豚屋 Mochi Café
Address: 尖沙咀赫德道19-23號地舖 (19-23 Hart Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong)
Tel. No.: 3598 6282


Mochi Cafe is is a Japanese Restaurant specializing in hand-made udon (thick white noodles). I usually like my udon, noodles or spaghetti to be chewy (or as referred to “al dente” rather than soggy ones. Therefore, knowing the udon are “hand-made” definitely gave me extra motivation for this visit.


As entering the restaurant at precisely 1215 as to keep my booking, I was not greeted by any member of staff. In fact I had to walk right to the end of the restaurant to alert a member of staff of my presence. I was told since my booking came in last on yesterday evening, therefore I had to return my table at 1310. Of course, I’d do so depending on the speed on when the food is served~

This is the lunch menu**Lunch Period is from 1200-1400 and only Set Menu is available**


The lunch menu consisted of numbers of udon and rice dishes. Disappointingly, none of the curry soup-base udon was available. Therefore, my order was as follow:

(1) 09. 本格派鰻魚拼汁燒雞扒大碗飯 (Grilled Eel and Teriyaki Chicken Fillet Rice)
(2) 25. 石燒黑芝麻豬扒手打烏冬 (Black Sesame Pork Chop with Udon served in Stone Pot)
(3) 30. 石燒上級豚肉手打烏冬 (Premium Japanese Pork with Udon served in Stone Pot)


Grilled Eel & Chicken Rice Bowl


Black Sesame Pork Chop


Udon Served in Hot Stone Pot


Zoom in to the fatty pork


(1) Both the chicken and eel were nicely done having the distinctive smokey taste when you grilled or BBQ your food. Personally I preferred the Eel this time because it was fat and juicy, maybe it's in season. The fat from the eel and sweetness of the sauce went perfectly with the hot rice and seaweed. The chicken was not overly dried, the overall standard is fair.

(2) The whole pork chop was covered in black sesame. If you love the taste of sesame you are most probably going to enjoy this dish. The pork chop was tender and not too greasy even though it was shallow fried. It was served separetly from the udon which is a good idea as I wouldn't like the pork chop to be all soaked and the sesame would come off. The udon had a nice texture to it though not as chewy as I expected. It was served in a sizzling hot stone pot so the dish stayed warm throughout the meal. The soup base is the famous Japanese pork bone - it is milky white and had sweet corn, water cress and spring onion served on top of it. A raw egg is topped on the noodle to finish off. The hot stone bowl is so hot that once you mix the egg into the noodle, the yolk is gently cooked.


(3) The last udon dish is similar to the previous one except there are large pieces of fatty pork in it (as shown as picture below) once the fat (yes, it is indeed lard, LARRRRD it is!) melts into the soup, it immediately intensify the flavour of the soup!! mmm...the pork is also quite tender but without much flavour to it. The texture is simular to stewed pork belly.

For the complimenteary drink that comes with each lunch set, I ordered milky tea. The taste of it reminded me of a Japanese Braind "KIRIN" for their Tea Series "GoGo No Koucha" (Direct Translation: Afternoon Tea). Only that I had to add more milk into it that's all.

日本麒麟飲料午後紅茶(午後の紅茶)




Evident of all the tables were booked!


NOTE:

i. Make sure you have a make a reseravation prior to your visit.
ii. Only set lunches are available during Lunch Hour and Lunch Hour is between 1200-1400.
iii. Restaurant does not open in between 1400-1800.

0 comments: