Saturday 26 July 2008

Dal, Indian restaurant, Seoul






Dal is one of the first generation Indian restaurant in Seoul. The restaurant opened when I was still in my high school. It is in Art Sonjae, an art gallery in Gahoe-dong (next to Smachong-dong), so it is nice to go to before or after cultural experience. I have been going there for almost 10 years and I went there again today to celebrate my cousin's birthday.







What I love most about the restaurant is its boudoir-like ambience. The doors of the restaurant are inlaid with mother of pearl. The main hall of the restaurant is surrounded by the private rooms that gently filter light. The colour of the restaurant crimson. The chairs and sofa are covered in crimson velvet and the wall is painted orangey-scarlet. But I am never sure because of the lighting. I just find the restaurant so sensual. Like Jean-Georges, it is a perfect setting for seduction or a secret rendez-vous with your lover. (I keep writing about places that are perfect for seduction, love affairs, etc. A clear sign that I am deprived.) It would be so nice if the restaurant smelled of jasmine. It would transport me right back to India...




We ordered chicken tikka masala (are you surprised?), palak paneer (surprised again?), dal makhni, prawn something (tomaotey spicy sauce. Forgot the name), seekh kebab, samosa and onion pakora.









Samosa and onion pakora are boring but I ordered them anyways because I was hungry. Seekh kebab (similar to kofte) was decent. Palak paneer and dal makhni are family favourite -yum! The weakest part of the meal was prawn dish. Four puny prawns were smothered in sweet and spicy tomatoey sauce. So boring.




But overall, I had nice lunch




Pakora: 5000 KRW

Samosa: 5000 KRW

Lassi: 4000 KRW

Seekh kebab: 20000 KRW

Palak paneer: 17000 KRW

Chicken tikka masala: 18000 KRW

Dal Makhani: 15000 KRW

Spicy Chilly Prawn: 25000 KRW

plain rice: 2000 KRW

plain naan: 2000 KRW

pudina parantha: 3000 KRW







서울특별시 종로구 소격동 144-2

아트선재센터



(02)736-4627



Jong-ro-gu

So-gyuk-dong

144-2



(02)736-4627


Gangnam branch



강남구 역삼동 737

강남 파이낸스 센터 지하 1층

02)2112-3888



Gangnam-gu Yuk-sam-dong

Gangnam Finance Center LG1

02)2112-3888




http://www.dalindia.com/



I just found out that the restaurant is owned by Maeil, a milk company.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

together., a woven body part. began to weave itself part of circling organizations four pigtail on Leather Dog Collar

Unknown said...

weaving the body and sleeves can be properly adjusted, first woven body the better part of the Leather Dog Collar