Friday 3 October 2008

Fine Foods @ The Royal Garden Hotel (Hong Kong)

Not only did I make another return to Jean Paul Hevin, I also went back to Fine Foods (for details pls check on my Aug 08 Post)


Chocolate Truffle cake and Vanilla Sky were already mentioned so I won't talk about it again this time. Chocolate Truffle is still amazing!


Mixed Fruit Napolean: The pastry is not as crispy and light as "Mimosa" (Another bakery near Tin Hau), they seemed to be both very different in taste and type of Napolean. Both equally as good and wonderful as each other. The custard cream was good, with strong vanilla taste and rather thick, fruit were fresh.


Green Tea Opera: The presentation is absolutely fantastic! At first bite, the green tea flavour was overwhemingly strong. However, on a second bite it actually tasted better than the 1st. I wouldn't call this their best cake though but it was still above standard and worth a try if you are a green tea lover. The mini macaroon was a bit chewy but it wasn't bad.



Tiramisu: I know that to alot of people, this is a good enough tiramisu, but to me...it's just okay and not remarkable. The mascapone cream is too dense and didn't taste creamy enough. I like my tiramisu to be more moist with strong coffee taste (but not overingly bitter, rum is not necessary but it does add more point to this marvelous dessert). Seeing that there's no tiramisu that have reach my standard in HK...I'll prob resort to making one myself.

Fine foods offers good quality and wide selection of cakes and dessert! They have other popular desserts or cakes like Lemon Tart, Cream Cone, Mango Delight and Hazelnut Chocolate Crunch Cake that I have yet to try. The only problem is, they are so popular that I have never actually seen them in store. For the past couple of visits, I have in fact wipe out their fridge...haahaa maybe I should get there earlier say 1am -2pm instead of 4pm in the afternoon.

2 comments:

Jo Cheng said...

Hey Woogs, definitely liking your food blog! And I must say the photos are getting much, much better.

Since this is a blog about food, I guess it's only appropriate to talk on the topic. Was on my way to pay some bills this afternoon and had a sudden craving for CHOCOLATE! Anything CHOCOLATE (though a nicely baked brownie was preferred.) Went past a bakery called "85'C" (It's supposed to be degrees celcius, but I don't know how to make the little circle appear.) 85'C is a Taiwanese franchise bakery that has apparently threatened the business of Starbucks in Taiwan by coming out with its own NT$35 coffee (compared to a minimum of NT$90 from Starbucks), alongside a wide range of baked breads and cakes. Anyway, went in the bakery for my sugar fix and finally settled on a double chocolate donut, that is, chocolate flavoured dough covered with chocolate icing and chocolate shavings. As usual with my "special" eating habit, I began first with peeling of the icing and ate them, and when I was three quarters through the icing...I felt my sugar fix was...well, fixed. Then it was the dough. True to being a donut, it was fried, but oh! So much oil!! Ooomph! I could feel my arteries clogging up already after the first bite!

So, conclusion: no more double chocolate donuts from 85'C anymore.

Banya said...

Jo

Do you have New York Donut Plant in Taipei? Their choc cake donut is good.