Friday 22 August 2008

On a rainy day

I love rainy days because they remind me of England. Today is one of those days that make me think of the time I spent there.

It is only August but the wind that runs through my office already feels like autumn. I am wearing a grey cardigan over my navy blue dress. My bare legs are also a bit chilly. The weather like this definitely calls for a cuppa, and in this case, a mug of rich hot chocolate will be very nice.






(Picture: courtesy of myrecipes.com)

As much as I love the idea of having a cup of hot chocolate on a chilly, rainy day, snuggled up in a warm blanket reading a book -or watching DVDs-, I can never finish a cup of hot chocolate. It is just too much even if I do not add any sugar or cream in it. Nonetheless, I get craving for a hot chocolate on a rainy day.
The best hot chocolate I ever had was in fact the one I made at home with Valhorna dark. Sounds smug, no? :p
It has become relatively easy to find nice hot chocolate in Seoul, the ones made with real chocolate as opposed to Swiss Miss. Some are thick, some are light. It is nice to see that more and more people in Korea take chocolate seriously.

I don't think hot chocolate requires any particular recipe as long as you are making one with the best dark chocolate you can get and full-fat milk.
Just chop up (if you have chocolate buttons, even better) a few tablespoons of dark chocolate, put it in a mug or heat-proof glass, add hot milk (but not too hot).
Let it sit for a while and then whisk vigorously.
If you want it extra indulgent, add a dollop of booze-spiked or vanilla-laced whipped cream. Serve it alone or maybe with a buttery biscuit.

Sit back, put up your feet up and drink. Bliss.

0 comments: