Saturday 9 August 2008

The Lucy Pie Kitchen, pies, Seoul



The Lucy Pie....even the shop is so adorable, inspired by kitsch 50s American style. The owner likes Lucy from an old American TV series, so she named her store The Lucy Pie.
I went to the original store in Dongbu Ichon-dong. There is pink everywhere, from the pink tiles outside the shop to the pink ribbons on the cookie boxes. The Lucy Pie is not about high-end patisserie but about homemade-style comfort food.




The pie shop offers various American-style pies, from Apple Crumble Pie to Chcolate Pudding Pie. I have tried many of their pies, and this time, me and my cousin ordered a lemon meringue pie, a peppermint chocolate pie, an iced Americano and a hot Americano.

The short crust is crumbly but not buttery, meaning that shortening was used in it. The lemon custard layer was sweet, lemony and devoid of unpleasant egg smell. Meringue was light, nicely whipped and browned well. In fact, The Lucy Pie is one of the very few places that offer lemon meringue pie every day. I was told that Tartine in Itaewon sells lemon meringue pie on the weekends, but I did not see any when I visited them on Saturday afternoon. It not only tastes nice, but also pretty to look at.

My favourite pie here is Peppermint Chcolate Pie. It is like having Christmas already. Chocolate pie crust is layered with chocolate pudding (I am almost certain that it is JELLO), topped with mint chocolate speckled whipped cream. One bite of it will make you feel like you are in heaven.

Americano was 5000, which is pricey, but you can get a refill.
Price aside, coffee was not good. Too thin. Not strong enough.











More pies...



Savoury pies were already sold-out when I got there around 6PM.

I never tried this, but I was told that it is 2 discs of chocolate cake sandwiched together with peanut cream in the middle.

Cute little merinuges...
Chocolate puding pie

My favourite till I found Peppermint Chocolate pie. Unlike other pies, this pie has oreo-cookie bottom. Like Peppermint pie, it has chocolate pudding layer in the middle, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. It is also called Scream Pie - it tastes so good that you will want to scream.








This cinamony Apple Crumble Pie is very high...thily sliced apples are layered in the pie crust -over 5cm-, topped with cinamony crumble topping. It is one of the best-selling pies.

Another favourite of mine, sour cherry pie...cherry fillings encased in crumbly pie shell. Each slice has cute little heart-shaped hole.







Cold drinks on display. Ginger beer ice cream float is available.







My favourite till I found Peppermint Chocolate pie. Unlike other pies, this pie has oreo-cookie bottom. Like Peppermint pie, it has chocolate pudding layer in the middle, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. It is also called Scream Pie - it tastes so good that you want to scream.




A closer look at Chocolate Pudding Pie










I tried pecan pie before, but I don't remember much of it. I asked a staff there is pecan pie and walnut pie are the same except the buts on top, and he said that pecan pie is like any other pecan pie, but walnut pie has almond powder, etc in it, so elderly people like it.



Grapefruit jello made with fresh fruits.











Price: 4500KRW-5500KRW (£2.25-£2.75)
Americano: 5000KRW (£2.25)



The Lucy Pie Kitchen, Dongbu Ichon-dong
Opposite Chungshin Church
02-790-7779
11:00am-11:00pm

더루시파이키친 동부이촌동 (본점)
충신교회 건너편
02-790-7779
11:00am-11:00pm



The Lucy Pie Kitchen
Galleria Department Store West
LG1
10:30AM-8:00PM
02-3449-4185

더루시파이 키친
갤러리아 백화점 West 지하1층
10:30AM-8:00PM
02-3449-4185


The Lucy Pie Kitchen
Hyundai Department Store at Korea World Trade Center
02-3467-6508

더루시파이키친
무역센터 현대백화점
02-3467-6508


The Lucy Pie Kitchen
Shingsaegae Department Store in Gangnam
LG1 behind Migo
phone number is not available,
10:30AM-8:00PM

더루시파이키친
강남신세계
지하1층 미고 뒤
10:30AM-8:00PM

It is not the pies I care about these days, but Park Tae Hwan, the first Asian to win a gold medal in Freestyle.





Right after he won the gold. (400m freestyle)
Such a pity that he is 7 years younger than me...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pumpkin Pie, I really need some of it!!!

Banya said...

My darling Nita...you and the pumpkin pies~~!!!