Wednesday 20 August 2008

Agnés B. DÉLICES

Name: Agnés B. DÉLICES
Location: Shop B16, The Sun Arcade, 28 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Website: http://www.agnesb-delices.com/praline.html

Agnés B – Dare I say it is a brand that’s better known in Asia than in Europe. Crazed by many Chinese and Japanese girlies, though the hype never quite caught me! In recent years, they have started to diversify the business, e.g. opening floral shop, book shop (gallery), etc. In 2007, they caused a (slight) stir in the F & B world in HK, by opening a restaurant in Causeway Bay and their own chocolatiers. Apparently, at one point bookings have to be made 6-9 months in advance. I haven’t tried their restaurants for two reasons, I believer it is over hyped and I can find better French Cuisine else where, period. Besides…I’d rather spend the money on a DKNY or Anterprima (plastiq collection) Bag than eating there! (Mind you the bill for two should be equivalent of a handbag from those two brands) =P

Ok back to food…seeing that they have now opened 4-5 shops around HK, I felt it was safe enough for me to go try it out. Maybe I’d like it…plus I bough myself more Jean-Paul Hevin’s macaroons, nothing can faze me now! (yeah…haahaa, so I thought!)

When I enter the shop, a massive glass counter filled with truffles and chocolates greeted me. With some pre-packed boxes of chocolate which offer a tacky looking bracelet that might make a good birthday gift for some on the shelves.

In the end, I only managed to buy four chocolate and they looked adorable.



Fleur – Gianduja and Ganache Dark Chocolate

“A luxurious blend of the finest ganache with hazelnut and almond paste, this is your one-way ticket to chocolate paradise.”

Thin chocolate casing held the "finest ganache" which I found the almond taste was stronger than hazelnut. Not a particular fan of this one.



Aurore – Earl Grey Dark Chocolate


“The unique and sophisticated flavors of delicate, bergamot-infused tea make this a must-try praline for all chocolate connoisseurs.”

Let's just say the Earl Grey Flavored Truffle I bought from Hokkaido is the best ones I've tried. So if I'm trying to search that flavour again, it'd prob be either flying over there or make it myself. The distintive taste of the tea was not pleasing and I'd have preferred it if more chocolate was there.


Valerie – Vanilla Milk Chocolate


“A delectable twist on traditional milk chocolate this luxurious praline will delight your taste buds with its masterful blend of cocoa, cream and finest vanilla.”

I love vanilla, I love milk chocolate and cream...so I thought except for being overly sweet, this chocolate cannot go wrong right? I took half a bite of it than forced my mum to have another half. Her comment was, "Agnes B. is really over hyped isn't it!?" haahaa~

Isabelle – Rose Dark Chocolate


“A rich blend of rose with smooth dark chocolate, it is a perfect balance of two sophisticated flavors.”


Sorry, if I have ran out of words to describe food that are less pleasing for me. I took half a bite of this and threw the other half in the bin. I just can't take it anymore! I was expecting a more perfumed taste of it but instead, it tasted weird. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to try their chocolate.


They cost $16 each (approx £1 each)

In general, I didn't enjoy the thin casing of chocolate, I felt the fillings were too overwhelming and none of the aromas was pleasing to me. I'm not sure if I'm affected with my prejudice so I've decided I'll buy tons of chocolate for Banya to try next time I visit her in Korea! She would be a much fairer judge than me, I'm sure.

0 comments: